With warmer weather fast approaching, Klairs sunscreen (Klairs Soft Airy UV Essence SPF 50 PA ++++) is sure to become your new favourite skincare product.
When I think sunscreen, I usually think sticky, greasy, unpleasant. I have memories of that strong, chemical-smelling sunscreen of my childhood that my parents would force me to slather on when we were on the beach.
Even as an adult, the hunt for the perfect sunscreen was a longwinded process.
I think I’ve found my holy grail product though. This sunscreen from Dear, Klairs is what I have been looking for and more.
What is Klairs Soft Airy UV Essence SPF 50 PA ++++
Fairly new to the sunscreen market, Klairs Soft Airy UV Essence underwent rigorous testing to ensure it protected us from the sun’s harmful UV rays and is a product that we’d actually love to use everyday.
The company wanted a product that:
- Was less irritating to the skin and eyes
- Extremely light-stable
- Not oily nor matte
- Can be easily cleansed
With an SPF50 and a PA++++ rating, Klairs Soft Airy UV Essence has proven broad spectrum UV blocking abilities, including UVA1, and has received “UV blocking functional cosmetic” certification in Korea.
It’s also a joy to apply. I never thought I’d say that about any sunscreen but there you go.
Water (Aqua), Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Butylene Glycol, Dibutyl Adipate, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, 1,2-Hexanediol, Glycerin, Niacinamide, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Silica, Cetearyl Olivate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitan Olivate, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Sorbitan Stearate, Panthenol, Beta-Glucan, Disodium EDTA, Citrus Junos Fruit Extract, Adenosine, Sodium Hyaluornate, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Hippophae Rhamnoides Oil, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Tocopherol, Allantoin, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil
If you’re wondering about the orange oil, Klairs said they added a small amount of orange peel oil in there to mask the pungent base odour sunscreens tend to have, that some people don’t like.
How I use Klairs sunscreen
Sunscreen is part of my daily morning skincare routine.
I apply an appropriate amount (about half a teaspoon of sunscreen to cover my face, ears and neck) after moisturizing.
Should I wear sunscreen everyday?
The short answer is yes, we should use sunscreen everyday.
Daily sunscreen use can help prevent skin cancer by protecting us from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. And it helps prevent premature ageing.
And remember that even if you don’t feel warm or see sunshine, the sun still emits those UV rays so we should apply sunscreen even when it’s cloudy or raining. Even in the thick of winter!
What if you’re just at home?
I work from home but since my desk is right beside the window, I still apply sunscreen since the sun’s rays still reach me.
Here’s a great article from the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) that you can check out.
How often should you re-apply sunscreen?
If I’m going out, I make sure to apply sunscreen a good half hour before I leave to allow my skin to fully absorb it. The AAD recommends at least 15 minutes.
And if you’re outdoors, best to re-apply sunscreen every two hours. Re-apply it sooner if you’ve been swimming (e.g. as soon as you’re out of the water) or if you’ve been sweating a lot (e.g. you were out running or riding your bike).
What I like about Klairs sunscreen
I think the question should be what don’t I like about this sunscreen! There are a lot of things to love:
- No fragrance. Given the ingredient list, I know this product is technically not fragrance-free but I don’t smell anything at all. What a welcome change from the sunscreens of my childhood.
- No white cast. Unlike other facial sunscreens I’ve tried, this product does not leave a white cast. I have a medium tan complexion so a white cast is very obvious on my skin and this product just disappears after application.
- Not greasy. There is not a point during the day that my face feels or looks greasy using this sunscreen. It never feels oily or thick either. My combination skin feels soft and smooth, like I’m not wearing sunscreen at all. When they said light, soft and featherlight finish, they weren’t kidding! My partner uses this too and she has oily skin and it works just as well for her.
- Good for sensitive skin. I have fairly sensitive skin and this product did not break me out. I’ve been using it everyday for the last 3 weeks and still in the clear.
- Great under make-up. I’ve used Klairs sunscreen under makeup a few times and they played nicely together. My makeup applied well over it and nothing slid off my face. However, note that I don’t use full coverage foundation or heavy makeup so I can’t say if this will affect your application of that.
- Luxurious. My favourite thing about this product? Just how it feels! It feels so luxurious to apply. Like I’m applying a rich cream instead of sunscreen. And the way my face feels after, just fantastic. I never thought I’d say that about a sunscreen product ever.
What I don’t like about it
I’ve been thinking about this for a while and I really can’t think of a single thing I don’t like about this product.
The price point is fair. The packaging is elegant. It’s easily available.
I love it!
Do I recommend Klairs sunscreen?
In a rating scale of 1 to 5, 5 being awesome, this product is — definitely not a surprise! — a solid 5 for me. I have 2 other sunscreen products in my stash but this is definitely the one I will re-purchase.
You can buy it by clicking this link > Klairs Soft Airy UV Essence SPF 50 PA ++++.
Use discount code JOLINA15 when shopping at Wishtrend and enjoy 15% off your purchase! Valid until December 31, 2023.
As always, remember that every person’s skin and skin type is different so what might work for me might not work for you, and vice versa.
So before trying a new product, it pays to do a little bit of research first. Pay special attention to ingredients that you might have a reaction to.
And doing a patch-test is always a good idea. Unsure? Best to consult your dermatologist.
Happy skin experimenting! Practice good skincare habits always.
Have you tried Klairs sunscreen? Did it work for you? Will you recommend it? Would love to hear from you in the comments section below!