Klairs Midnight Blue Youth Activating Drop is a serum formulated to fight the various causes of aging and help improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Klairs Midnight Blue Youth Activating Drop is part of the brand’s blue product line, which helps keep the skin vibrant and youthful.
I’m already a big fan of their midnight blue calming cream; it’s especially suited for my sensitive skin. So I was very excited to try their midnight blue youth activating drop, which comes in the same lovely blue colour.
Does it work as well as their calming cream? Let’s find out.
What does Klairs midnight blue serum do
To fully understand what this serum does, we’ll need to talk about its main components, growth factors.
According to allure.com – “Found in abundance throughout the body, growth factors are large proteins that float between cells communicating crucial messages relevant to growth, healing, and survival”.
Specifically, our body produces EGF and bFGF, which help keep the outer and inner parts of our skin firm and smooth. They help regenerate our skin, encourage collagen production, making skin look fresher and brighter
Like all good things though, by the time we hit our mid-20s, the concentration of EGF in our body rapidly decreases, the amount of collagen produced in our skin drops by 50% and our skin loses its elasticity, resulting in fine lines and wrinkles (source).
That’s where Midnight Blue Youth Activating Drop comes in.
With its dual peptide formula strengthened by EGF (sh-Oligopeptide-1) and bFGF (sh-Polypeptide-1), we can replenish the collagen on our skin and help restore its natural elasticity.
Midnight Blue Youth Activating Drop ingredients
This youth activating drop also contains guaiazulene, giving it a natural blue hue. Full ingredient list below (source):
sh-Oligopeptide-1, sh-Polypeptide-1, Butylene Glycol, Vaccinium Angustifolium Blueberry) Fruit Extract, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Chlorphenesin, Guaiazulene, Ethylhexylglycerin, Adenosine
Other things to know
- Packaging. This product comes in a 20-ml bottle with dropper.
- Scent. It has a very strong rubber scent, which dissipates a few seconds upon application.
- Colour. I don’t know about you but I love that it’s blue. And it’s not an artificial blue either — that’s not the Klairs way. It’s like that because guaiazulene is naturally indigo. Don’t worry though; it applies and dries clear.
- Texture and Consistency. This serum is very runny and watery. And it dries and absorbs almost immediately. No sticky or greasy residue.
- Skin Type. This product is recommended for all skin types.
How to use Klairs Midnight Blue Youth Activating Drop
Unlike most serums which you apply after the toner and essence stage, this drop must be applied before, right after cleansing, to maximize its efficacy.
Because this product is super thin, I use 2-3 whole drops (i.e. I depress the dropper all the way to get all the product out) to cover my face and neck.
I don’t drop it directly on my face like other thicker serums either. It will just drip right off. Cotton pads didn’t work for me either; 90% of the product just ended up on the pad.
So what I do is put the product on my palm, then work quickly to spread and pat that out all over my skin.
Once it’s fully absorbed (a few quick seconds), I apply ByWishtrend Quad Active Boosting Essence and proceed with the normal order of my evening routine.
What I like about this anti aging serum
- Lightweight. I like lightweight skincare products and this is the lightest one in my skincare drawer. It absorbs fast, almost no waiting time, and you don’t really feel you have it on.
- Soft and smooth. My skin feels soft, smooth and supple immediately upon application.
- Gentle. I have had no breakouts with this product at all. I tried The Ordinary Buffet and it irritated my skin so bad I became wary of using similar products. So I’m really glad my skin is happy with this serum. It also works well with the other products in my routine, like retinol and niacinamide.
What I don’t like about it
- Rubbery scent. I have no idea where that rubbery scent is coming from but it is slightly off-putting. It disappears after a few seconds though.
- Needs a lot of product. Because this product is so runny, I need a lot of it to cover my face and neck. It dries and absorbs fast that I find myself getting more product for areas of my face I haven’t covered yet. You really have to work quickly with this one.
- Small bottle. It doesn’t help that it only comes in a small 20-ml bottle. I’m more than halfway done with mine in a little over a month. At USD 30 a bottle, it’s not going to be cheap repurchasing.
Do I recommend this product?
In a rating scale of 1 to 5 — 5 being awesome — this product is a 3 for me. For now.
I’ve been using this product 3x a week for more than a month now and I haven’t really noticed any significant improvement in my fine lines. I don’t have a lot, but there’s this one spot I was paying special attention to and it sort of still looks the same.
This doesn’t mean that this product is ineffective though. It may mean it just needs a little more time to work, which is typical of anti-aging products. Good healthy skin is a marathon after all.
I do feel like this is better suited to younger skin, however.
Being in my mid-40s, I need something stronger, like retinol, to help me fight my anti-aging battle. Which makes this Midnight Blue Youth Activating Drop simply a booster to my main serums.
Will I repurchase? I think I will, actually.
I trust the Klairs brand and I have a good feeling about this product. With continued use, I think I will see a more pronounced difference in my skin.
At the very least, it helps me get my dose of growth factors without irritation. Which is a good thing. I will update my rating then.
If you’re in your mid-20s or even early 30s, I really think this is a great product to start your anti-aging routine.
Use discount code JOLINA15 when shopping at Wishtrend and enjoy 15% off your purchase! Valid until December 31, 2022.
As always, remember that every person’s skin and skin type is different so what might work for me might not work for you, and vice versa.
So before trying a new product, it pays to do a little bit of research first. Pay special attention to ingredients that you might have a reaction to.
And doing a patch-test is always a good idea. Unsure? Best to consult your dermatologist.
Happy skin experimenting! Practice good skincare habits always.
Have you tried Klairs Midnight Blue Youth Activating Drop? How do you like it? Will you recommend it? Would love to hear from you in the comments section below!