Klairs Gentle Black Fresh Cleansing Oil is a lightweight cleansing oil that removes dirt, makeup and other impurities without causing any skin irritation. Usually used at the first step of a double cleansing routine, it preps the skin for the rest of your skincare regimen.
Klairs is a popular Korean skincare brand that’s all about simplicity. They only use the most necessary ingredients to make a product work as effectively as possible.
So I was excited to try their Klairs Gentle Black Fresh Cleansing Oil (not to be confused with their Gentle Black Deep Cleansing Oil though, which offers deeper cleansing).
I’m pretty loyal to DHC Cleansing Oil but since this product is from Klairs, I was willing to give it a shot and, I must admit, I had very high expectations.
What is a cleansing oil?
Like I mentioned, a cleansing oil is used in the first step of a double cleansing routine.
Using an oil-based cleanser removes oil-based impurities that water-based cleansers might not effectively remove. Examples include: makeup, sunscreen, sebum and pollution.
When choosing oil-based products, you want one that contains an emulsifier. What this means is the product turns milky when a little bit of water is applied. This action not only helps lift off the impurities, it also makes the cleanser easier to rinse off.
Also pick one that’s gentle on the skin and formulated for your skin type.
The last thing we want to happen is to dry out our skin by using cleansers that contain ingredients that are too harsh.
Klairs Gentle Black Fresh Cleansing Oil ingredients
Klairs Gentle Black Fresh Cleansing Oil is gentle enough to use everyday and is formulated with natural oils like sunflower seed oil, grape seed oil, jojoba seed oil and black currant oil that help:
- Control sebum production
- Soothe and hydrate skin
Full ingredient list below (source):
Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, PEG-20 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Seed Oil
Other things to know
- Packaging. This product is available in a 150ml pump bottle. Not ideal for traveling but doesn’t take up a lot of space on your counter.
- Fragrance. Fragrance is usually the first thing I notice about a product but frankly, I can’t tell in this case. Klairs says it’s fragrance-free but I smell something. It’s very faint and I can’t determine for sure what it is. In any case, it doesn’t bother me at all.
- Texture and Consistency. This cleansing oil is definitely thinner and runnier than other oil-based cleansers I’ve tried. It’s closer to a thin serum than oil.
- Skin Types. Which makes sense, because Klairs recommends this product to folks with combination-oily skin who feel regular oil cleansers are just too heavy. It is hypoallergenic though and suitable to use on sensitive skin too.
How to use Klairs cleansing oil
To test this product, I used Klairs Fresh Cleansing Oil as my first cleanser at night for a few weeks.
I dispensed a couple of full pumps into my dry hands and gently massaged the product all over my dry face. I tried to get into every nook and cranny (side of my nose, side of my forehead, under my chin) and after about a minute, I rinsed with water.
What I like about Klairs Fresh Cleansing Oil
- Lightweight. This product is definitely lightweight. Because of the thinner consistency, you don’t get that oily feeling while using it.
- Rinses Well. While it doesn’t emulsify all that much, this product is very easy to rinse off and doesn’t leave a greasy residue on skin.
- Gentle and Non-irritating. It’s also very gentle. My skin didn’t get irritated while testing it.
What I don’t like about it
- More product needed. Unlike other oil-based cleansers where I only need to use minimal product, with Klairs Black Fresh Cleansing Oil, I have to use more. I found myself running out of product as I go through my face.
- Regular cleansing. And because it’s so lightweight, using it doesn’t feel as luxurious as others. I’ve come to think of cleansing as this relaxing few minutes in my day where I get to give myself a lovely face massage and I just don’t get to experience that here. It’s just regular cleansing, which isn’t bad; just not what I was expecting.
- Deep cleansing? Unfortunately, no matter how much product I used, I never got that deeply cleansed feeling that I usually get with other first cleansers. My skin felt somewhat soft and smooth immediately after cleansing, but not really brighter or that much more supple.
- Tight and dry. What I did definitely feel was tightness and dryness. Even if I used minimal product, my skin felt dry after a few minutes of using this product. And I continued to feel that tightness throughout the night and the next day, even after I’ve gone through the rest of my routine.
Do I recommend Klairs Gentle Black Fresh Cleansing Oil?
In a rating scale of 1 to 5 — 5 being awesome — this product is a 2 for me.
This cleansing oil is not a bad product at all. What my experience shows is how important using the right products for your skin type really is.
I’m combination-dry in the winter and need something a little bit heavier and harder working. While this product is recommended for people who have combination-oily skin and who need lighter weight cleansers. So definitely not the right fit.
Their Gentle Black Deep Cleansing Oil might be the better product for me.
If you’re the right skin type though, this product might work for you. It’s a beloved product with many glowing reviews.
Use discount code JOLINA15 when shopping at Wishtrend and enjoy 15% off your purchase! Valid until December 31, 2023.
As always, remember that every person’s skin and skin type is different so what might work for me might not work for you, and vice versa.
So before trying a new product, it pays to do a little bit of research first. Pay special attention to ingredients that you might have a reaction to.
And doing a patch-test is always a good idea. Unsure? Best to consult your dermatologist.
Happy skin experimenting! Remember to practice good skincare habits always.
Have you tried Klairs Black Fresh Cleansing Oil? Did it work for you? Will you recommend it? Would love to hear from you in the comments section below!