I’m From Rice Toner is formulated with 77.78% rice extract that whitens, hydrates, smoothens, delivers anti-aging properties and more.
I’m From Rice Toner is actually the first Korean skincare product I tried. It’s what started my journey into Korean and Japanese skincare.
When I was doing my research and building my skincare routine, this toner kept popping up everywhere I looked.
It had glowing reviews, people call it their holy grail product, and one of my favourite YouTube skincare experts highly recommended it. So I gave it a shot.
What is a toner?
But first, what are toners?
The toners of old were these harsh, alcohol-based astringents that you usually applied with cotton. It also usually stung a little upon application and I don’t know why but back then, we thought that means it’s working.
Those were dark days lol.
These days, toners are lovely, gentle products that work to balance your skin’s pH after cleansing, and prime your skin for the rest of your skincare routine.
Allure says it best: “If you want to talk science, a toner is a fast-penetrating liquid that delivers skin a quick hit of hydration and helps remove some dead cells off the surface of the skin. The result: plump, glowy skin.”
Is a toner essential in a skincare routine?
There is ongoing debate about whether a toner is essential in a skincare routine.
I personally use toner everyday, morning and night. I pick toners that are made specifically for my skin type and that target my specific skin concerns like fine lines and dark spots.
I’m obviously a toner fan but I also want to give you a chance to decide for yourself. See the different articles below so you can decide if a toner is right for you.
Because whether you use a toner or not is a personal decision after all — do what feels good and what feels right for your skin.
- Yes, everyone should be using a toner.
- Is toner necessary? I don’t think so.
- “Should I use toner?” The answer is two-fold.
Rice toner benefits
If you made it this far I’ll assume you’ve decided to add toners to your skincare regimen. Yay!
So let’s talk about rice next. Because let’s admit it, rice is an unusual ingredient in this part of the world.
However, rice water has been used for skincare in Asia for centuries. It delivers outstanding skincare and beauty benefits like:
- Skin brightening and whitening
- Improvement of fine lines
- Skin firming and elasticity
- Balancing uneven skin tone
- And fading dark spots
Pretty awesome, right?
I’m From Rice Toner ingredients
And I’m From Rice Toner is formulated with a whopping 77.78% rice extract. That’s a very high concentration and an excellent way to deliver all these benefits.
The full ingredient list is below (source):
Rice extract, Methylpropanediol, Triethylhexanoin, Hydrogenated poly (C6-14 olefin), Niacinamide, Pentylene glycol, Common Purslane extract, Rice bran extract, Japanese elm bark extract, Amaranthus caudatus seed extract, Hydrogenated lecithin, Distilled water, Polyglyceryl-10-myristate, Butylene glycol, Adenosine, Cellulose gum, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol
Other things to know
- Packaging. This toner used to be in a glass bottle but the company has switched to hard plastic. It’s available in 150-ml bottles and I’ve seen a mini version (30-ml) of it as well.
- Fragrance. I’m From Rice Toner is fragrance-free.
- Texture & Consistency. Its colour and consistency is similar to milk, but applies clear.
- Application. You’ll notice that the toner separates into a watery layer and a thicker layer. That’s because it’s split into water and an emulsion. You have to shake it well before every use. And you can apply it either with a cotton pad or using your palms.
- Absorption. The rice toner absorbs almost immediately after application. There’s no sticky residue either. Just soft, smooth, hydrated skin.
How to use I’m From Rice Toner
I use I’m From Rice Toner at night, after double cleansing.
While my skin is still damp, I apply 2-3 drops of product on my palm then gently pat all over my face and neck.
I give my skin time to absorb it (not very long, less than a minute) before applying essence and the rest of my skincare products.
What I like about this rice toner
- Gentle. This product is very gentle on skin. No sting, no redness. And it plays nicely with the other products in my regimen.
- Immediate results. After application, my skin immediately feels smoother, softer, suppler. I can’t stop touching it lol!
- Hydrating. This product is also very hydrating. Which is perfect because we’re starting to dip into negative temperatures. In the summer, I think I’m going to try to apply a few layers of this toner and forego my moisturizer altogether.
What I don’t like about it
I wasn’t a fan of rice toner at the beginning.
When I first started using it, small red bumps would appear on my face every few days, then disappear the next day. So I stopped using it after just a few weeks.
But my partner loves this product so much we’ve already repurchased it and bought a few bottles extra.
And her skin! After a year of using I’m From Rice Toner everyday, her complexion is noticeably clearer, smoother and brighter.
So I picked it up again a month ago and while I did notice those small annoying bumps return after the first few weeks, I kept at it and they eventually stopped appearing (keeping my fingers crossed).
I still can’t explain what it was though.
It didn’t look like I was breaking out; boy I know what that’s like. But it’s not exactly purging either (like what happened when I first tried Rovectin Blemish Ampoule).
It’s this one small red bump on my cheek today, gone tomorrow.
Whatever it is, it’s definitely a reaction.
Do I recommend I’m From Rice Toner?
In a rating scale of 1 to 5 — 5 being awesome — this product is a 4 for me.
I have a pretty set evening skincare routine which I’m very happy with.
When I added I’m From Rice Toner to it, my skin was that much smoother and suppler not only right after application, not only after I’m done with my regimen, but even until the next day.
I’m not giving this toner a 5 because of my skin’s reaction to it. It’s not happening anymore as I’m writing this review but once it does, I will have to stop using this product again, and this time permanently.
Not to say that this product doesn’t deserve its holy grail, cult status. It definitely does.
Some skin types just doesn’t like rice, I suppose. I do hope my skin continues to be friends with it because this is an excellent product.
You can buy I’m From Rice Toner at Wishtrend by >> clicking this link.
Use discount code JOLINA15 when shopping at Wishtrend and enjoy 15% off your purchase! Valid until January 31, 2021.
As always, remember that every person’s skin and skin type is different so what might work for me might not work for you, and vice versa.
So before trying a new product, it pays to do a little bit of research first. Pay special attention to ingredients that you might have a reaction to.
And doing a patch-test is always a good idea. Unsure? Best to consult your dermatologist.
Happy skin experimenting! And practice good skincare habits always.
Have you tried I’m From Rice Toner? How do you like it? Will you recommend it? Would love to hear from you in the comments section below!