I’m From Mugwort Mask is a wash-off facial mask that contains 2.1% ground natural Mugwort from Ganghwa Island that calms, soothes, hydrates, nourishes and detoxifies the skin. Big promises, right? Let’s find out if it delivers.
I’m From is another Korean skincare brand that I recently discovered and have grown to love. Like most k-beauty brands, they look to nature for ingredients beneficial to our skin.
They’re cruelty-free, don’t use harmful additives in their products, and are always honest and transparent in their list of ingredients. In this case, the main ingredient is mugwort. What is it and what does it do?
What is mugwort?
Mugwort sounds like something you would need in Potions Class, eh? Luckily for us, it’s available to muggles!
Korean mugwort (also known as ssuk) is an herb that’s been used in Korean medicine, skin care, and even cooking for generations. As a skincare ingredient, you might sometimes see it listed as artemisia.
Benefits of mugwort
For such a simple plant, its extract packs a powerful punch!
- It has hormonal balancing effects so when you apply it to your skin, it can help in managing hormonal acne breakouts.
- Mugwort essence also has skin calming and healing properties that are great for treating adult acne, skin irritation and redness.
- It has anti-aging properties as well.
I’m From Mugwort Mask ingredients
In addition to mugwort, this face mask also contains the following:
Aqua, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Artemisia Princeps Leaf Powder, 1,2-Hexanediol, Cordyceps Sinensis Extract, Polygonum Cuspidatum Root Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Methylpropanediol, Ligularia Fischeri Leaf Extract, Rosa Davurica Bud Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Glyceryl Polyacrylate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Carbomer, Arginine, Phenoxyethanol, Allantoin, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Panthenol, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA
How I use my mugwort mask
I apply mugwort mask after second cleansing at night. I started once a week and now use it twice a week.
This product comes with a small applicator but I find it’s easier to use my fingers (clean fingers!) to scoop a small amount of product from the tub and spread an even layer on my face, careful to avoid the area around my eye.
After 5 minutes, I wash it off with lukewarm water.
A few things to note:
- This mask has a gel-like consistency and doesn’t harden on your face. It goes on smoothly, like a cream.
- The recommended leave-on time ranges from 5 to 15 minutes. Because I have sensitive skin, I go for the lower end.
- You will actually see bits of ground mugwort on the product, so don’t be alarmed that’s normal. However, be careful not to get these bits in your eye, up your nose or (gulp) in your mouth.
- The mugwort mask has a very strong, herbal, earthy smell. Reminds me of how it smells out in the garden after rain, which I don’t mind and actually kind of like.
What I like about I’m From Mugwort Mask
What else do I like about it?
- Cool and refreshing. The product is cool upon application and so refreshing on my skin. It stays cool too, unlike other masks I’ve tried that tend to go room temp the longer it stays on my face.
- Soft, smooth skin. My skin also felt so soft and smooth after rinsing. And brighter too! I notice that the more I use the mask, the more radiant my skin becomes.
- Instantly calming. The first time I used this mask, I was dealing with a breakout and my skin was itchy and hyper sensitive. The mugwort mask instantly calmed my skin.
- Breakouts begone! But the thing I most like about this mask? It helps with breakouts in a real way. Although it took a few days for my zits to completely disappear, they were smaller, less redder, and less angry-looking the next day.
What I don’t like about it
I have no major complaints about this mask; in fact I really like it. However, some of you might be bothered by:
- The earthy smell. We tolerate smells differently and while I don’t mind it even if I prefer fragrance-free products, some of you might not appreciate it at all.
- Ground mugwort. Here’s the truth: this mask does look a little bit like wet soil when applied on your face (check out this video by Wishtrend to see what I mean: https://youtu.be/SaBcIhCPhnw). Which, again, I don’t mind but some people might take issue with.
The one tiny thing I do take issue with is the price. I find that it’s on the pricier side for a 100g tub. They offer a miniature 30g tube though, which is great.
Important FAQs about mugwort mask
Before you start using I’m From’s Mugwort Mask, here are several things to keep in mind.
Is it good for sensitive skin?
Mugwort is recommended for all skin types but if you have really sensitive skin, start slow like me. For example: try using it once a week and gradually increase the frequency depending on how your skin reacts.
Doing a skin-patch is a good idea too. This is an essential step for sensitive skin folks when adding new products to your skincare routine.
What skincare products shouldn’t I use this with?
Avoid using this mask on the same skincare routine as physical and chemical exfoliants (AHA and BHA), as well as retinol.
Do I recommend I’m From Mugwort Mask?
In a rating scale of 1 to 5 – 5 being awesome – this product is a high 4 for me. If only to manage my breakouts, this product is worth every penny. And used with the mugwort essence, my skin feels amazing.
It’s a skincare and beauty product which definitely has a permanent place in my skincare regimen, especially that my skincare issues include adult acne, ageing and dullness.
You can buy I’m From Mugwort Mask at Wishtrend. Use discount code JOLINA15 to get 15% off your purchase! (Valid until July 31, 2020.)
As always, remember that every person’s skin and skin type is different so what might work for me might not work for you so before you try a new product, it pays to do a little bit of research first.
Happy skin experimenting!
Have you tried I’m From Mugwort Mask? Did it work for you? Will you recommend it? Would love to hear from you in the comments section below!