I’m From Mugwort Essence has only 1 ingredient — artemisia princeps extract or mugwort extract — that calms, refines and purifies skin. Is one ingredient enough?
I’m From is one of my favourite Korean skincare brands. Like most k-beauty brands, they look to nature for ingredients beneficial to our skin. From cult-favourite rice toner to my personal favourite, mugwort mask.
They’re cruelty-free, don’t use harmful additives in their products, and are always honest and transparent in their list of ingredients. In this case, there is just one main ingredient. 100% mugwort extract.
What is mugwort?
If it’s the first time you’re hearing about mugwort, you’re not alone. It’s not a widely used ingredient in Western beauty products but Asians, specifically South Koreans, have known about its skin and health benefits for generations.
Korean mugwort (also known as ssuk) is an herb that’s been used in Korean medicine, skin care, and even cooking for generations. As a skincare ingredient, you might sometimes see it listed as artemisia princeps extract.
Benefits of mugwort
For such a simple plant, its extract packs a powerful punch!
- It has hormonal balancing effects so when you apply it to your skin, it can help in managing hormonal acne breakouts.
- Mugwort essence also has skin calming and healing properties that are great for treating adult acne, skin irritation and redness.
- It has anti-aging properties as well.
I’m From Mugwort Essence ingredients
I wasn’t kidding when I said this mugwort essence only had a single ingredient. It’s 100% artemisia princeps extract. Have you ever used a product that only has 1 ingredient?
No fillers, no additives, just 100% mugwort extract to soothe, hydrate and purify our skin.
What is an essence?
I go into more detail about what an essence is in my review of I’m From Fig Boosting Essence (another amazing product from I’m From).
Bottomline: An essence is something you add to your skincare routine to give it a boost. And with daily and consistent use, you can expect smoother, brighter, younger looking skin.
How I use my mugwort essence
I use mugwort essence every night, after toner. A few drops (about 3-4) of the essence is enough and, using my hands, I gently tap the product all over my face.
I wait for the product to be fully absorbed before I move to the next step in my skincare routine that day.
Other ways to use I’m From Mugwort Essence
I’m From has several other recommendations to fully maximize the benefits of this essence, like:
- Soaking a few pieces of cotton pads with the product and placing them on the areas of your face that need the extra help. Leave on for 5 minutes and remove.
- You can also soak your favourite sheet mask with it.
Other things to note about mugwort essence
- Fragrance. This product has a very light, earthy scent. It’s similar to the mugwort mask but not as strong. It goes away shortly after application.
- Colour. The essence has a slight green tint to it but applies clear.
- Application. You need very little product; a little goes a long way. However, the product dries and gets absorbed fairly quickly so you also have to work quickly to apply the essence evenly to your face.
- Packaging. The essence comes in a 160ml glass bottle and like other I’m From products, feels sturdy and well-made.
What I like about I’m From Mugwort Essence
- Soft smooth skin. I love how soft and smooth my skin feels after applying this product. Once it’s absorbed, my face immediately looks smoother and clearer. It has a primer-effect, almost. I only use it at night but I can imagine this must work nicely as a make-up primer in the morning.
- Instantly brightening. My skin looks noticeably brighter too.
- Quickly absorbs. It also absorbs quickly, almost as soon as it’s applied. No waiting, no sticky feeling. It feels very lightweight.
- No irritation. I’ve been using this essence for several weeks now and have had no bad reaction (I have semi-sensitive skin). No stinging, no redness, no breakouts. And it plays nicely with my other skincare products too, like retinol, lactic acid and glycolic acid.
What I don’t like about it
There’s really not a lot to complain about. However, some of you might not appreciate the earthy smell.
It’s very subtle, almost imperceptible. However, we tolerate smells differently and while I don’t mind it even if I prefer fragrance-free products, some of you might not like it at all.
Important FAQs about mugwort mask
Is it good for sensitive skin?
Mugwort is recommended for all skin types but if you have really sensitive skin, start slow like me. For example: try using it once a week and gradually increase the frequency depending on how your skin reacts.
Doing a skin-patch is a good idea too. This is an essential step for sensitive skin folks when adding new products to your skincare routine.
Is it good for acne prone skin?
I’m From Mugwort Essence is especially formulated to help calm and treat irritated skin. If you’re battling acne or redness, this product might just be a game changer for you!
I use the essence plus the mugwort mask once a week to keep my breakouts at bay. And my skin has never been clearer.
Does this product replace my toner?
This product wasn’t formulated to replace your toner so I would suggest to still keep using those two products together.
Do I recommend I’m From Mugwort essence?
In a rating scale of 1 to 5 — 5 being awesome — this product is a 5 for me.
After only several weeks of use, I’ve noticed my skin looks brighter and healthier and I’m getting less breakouts. I experience less redness as well.
I use different products in my skincare routine which I’m sure is contributing too but this essence – with its single ingredient – is definitely a welcome boost.
It’s a skincare and beauty product that’s found a permanent place in my skincare regimen, especially that my skincare issues include adult acne, ageing, redness and dullness.
Use discount code JOLINA15 when shopping at Wishtrend and enjoy 15% off your purchase! Valid until December 31, 2022.
As always, remember that every person’s skin and skin type is different so what might work for me might not work for you, and vice versa.
So before trying a new product, it pays to do a little bit of research first. Pay special attention to ingredients that you might have a reaction to.
And doing a patch-test is always a good idea. Unsure? Best to consult your dermatologist.
And practice good skincare habits always.
Happy skin experimenting!
Have you tried I’m From Mugwort Essence? Did it work for you? Will you recommend it? Would love to hear from you in the comments section below!