I’m From Fig Cleansing Balm uses 7.8% fig oil water to cleanse and moisturize the skin. Used as a first cleanser, it gently but effectively breaks down and removes make-up, sunscreen, dirt and excess oils, leaving skin clean and refreshed.
This time they’re tapping into the power of figs from “the fertile land of Yeongam, a gifted land with generous sunlight and a lovely breeze from the sea”.
Isn’t that just wonderful? Let’s find out if this product is as delightful as it seems.
What is a cleansing balm and how do you use it?
Cleansing balms are made of oil but solid in form. You scoop a small amount of product from the tub, massage it on your face (it turns to oil upon contact with your skin), emulsify with a little bit of water, then rinse.
Cleansing balms and cleansing oils are usually used as the first step of a double cleansing routine. They break down and remove make-up, sunscreen and pollutants that gel or foam cleansers might miss, while keeping your skin soft and smooth.
Benefits of fig in skincare
This new product that I’m From introduced goes the extra mile by adding fig.
I’ve never thought of fig as a skincare ingredient but it has a lot of surprising benefits:
- Source of great antioxidants
- Enhances skin’s hydration (prevents water loss)
- Fades dark spots
- Improves skin tone
- Calms skin’s redness
Specifically, this cleansing balm promises to:
- Provide deep cleansing, removing even the most stubborn makeup
- Remove dead skin cells and help with blackheads
- Moisturize and soften tired, exhausted skin
I’m From Fig Cleansing Balm ingredients
In addition to fig, this product is also made with:
Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Polyethylene, Synthetic Wax, Ficus carica (fig) Fruit Extract, Peg-10 Isostearate, Peg-20 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Fragrance, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Moringa Oleifera Seed Oil, Curcuma longa (turmeric) Root Extrac, Melia Azadirachta Flower Extract, Melia Azadirachta Leaf extract, Melia Azadirachta Bark Extract, Corallina Officinalis Extract, Ocimum Sanctum Leaf Extract
Other things to know
Here are a few additional things to note about I’m From Fig Cleansing Balm.
- This fig balm comes in a squat 100ml plastic tub, similar to the 3.38 fl oz tub of Banila Co Clean It Zero. So it would take a bit of real estate on your skincare product shelf.
- Like Clean It Zero, it has a protective cover and a spatula. I’m From’s spatula fits nicely on the protective over so there’s less chance of it getting lost or misplaced.
- As its name suggests, this fig cleansing balm smells sweet and very fruity.
- The balm comes in a very subtle pink colour and has a light, smooth consistency.
How I use my fig cleansing balm
I use I’m From Fig Cleansing Balm as my first cleanser.
Using the provided spatula, I scoop a small amount of product (a pea-sized amount goes a very long way) and apply to my dry face.
It melts immediately as I start gently massaging it onto my face. I try to get into every nook and cranny like the sides of my nose. This is important especially if you have make-up on and want a thorough clean.
I then apply a small amount of water to my face and do another round of massage, just to emulsify the product, before I rinse with water.
What I like about I’m From Fig Cleansing Balm
This is an impressive product and I love several things about it.
- Spreads Easily. I need very little product because it spreads very easily throughout my face. A little goes a long way. This tub would last me a few months and for its price point, that’s a great deal.
- Melts Immediately. I love how it immediately melts into my skin upon contact. Other cleansing balms I’ve tried tend to need a little bit of work before it turns to oil but this fig balm does so immediately.
- Luxurious and Creamy. It’s the most luxurious at-home facial massage ever. The feeling is creamier than an oil cleanser and definitely feels more lush. Like a nice reward at the end of the day.
- Gentle and No Irritation. I have sensitive skin and have had no bad reactions to using this product so far.
- Clean and Refreshing. On the contrary, my skin feels brighter and rejuvenated after every cleanse.
- Soft and Supple Skin. More importantly, it’s the softest my skin has ever felt. My skin feels so soft, bouncy, and so youthful after every wash. No feeling of dryness and tightness at all.
What I don’t like about it
It would have been perfect if not for:
- Fragrance. I prefer fragrance-free products. I do use some scented skincare products especially if they’re really good. I find the smell in this balm too strong though. It’s a nice scent and I’m sure it’s a plus for other people. It’s just too overpowering for me.
- Oily Residue. I find that whenever I use this cleansing balm, I spend a little bit more time rinsing it off vs. other cleansing oils and balms. I feel a slightly oily residue on my face that takes a little bit of time to rinse off completely. I’m not sure if that feeling is normal and I’m supposed to leave it, but I’m used to and more comfortable with a squeaky clean face after cleansing.
Important FAQs about fig cleansing balm
Is it good for sensitive skin?
I’m From recommends this cleansing balm for all skin types, including sensitive skin. Cleansing balms, in general, are great for dry skin.
If you have oily skin, this product might leave you a bit too dewy.
Is it effective in removing make-up?
Cleansing balms are very effective in removing make-up. Make-up literally just melts away. The same is true for this fig cleansing balm.
How often should I use it?
Personally, I only use cleansing balms occasionally (example: when I need to remove heavy make-up) and stick to my oil cleanser for daily use.
This product is gentle enough to use every day though; it all depends on your skin and finding the right routine/balance.
How long should you use a cleansing balm before rinsing?
How long you use cleansing balms before rinsing depends on you.
I usually give myself a good minute or two to gently massage the product all over my face before rinsing. It’s not just cleansing; it’s relaxing too.
Do I need to use the whole fig line or can I use this product with other brands?
While the fig skincare line (I’m From Fig Scrub Mask and I’m From Fig Boosting Essence) was developed to work together to help us achieve clear skin, you can use each product on its own and can still expect:
- A delivery of antioxidants
- A hydrating finish
- The removal of dead skin cells, and
- Enhanced skin texture
You can also use it with other skincare brands; just make sure to watch out for interactions between active ingredients.
Do I recommend I’m From Fig Cleansing Balm?
In a rating scale of 1 to 5 — 5 being awesome — this product is a 4 for me. I’m taking a star for the fragrance; I really wish it was fragrance-free or at least not as strongly scented.
I will still use this balm though; I love how it makes my skin feel. It is delightful!
However, I will stick to my cleansing oil in my daily skincare routine and only use this balm for when I have make-up on or for particularly hot, sweaty and grimy days.
Use discount code JOLINA15 when shopping at Wishtrend and enjoy 15% off your purchase! Valid until December 31, 2022.
As always, remember that every person’s skin and skin type is different so what might work for me might not work for you, and vice versa.
So before trying a new product, it pays to do a little bit of research first. Pay special attention to ingredients that you might have a reaction to.
And doing a patch-test is always a good idea. Unsure? Best to consult your dermatologist.
And practice good skincare habits always.
Happy skin experimenting!
Have you tried I’m From Fig Cleansing Balm? How do you like it? Will you recommend it? Would love to hear from you in the comments section below!