Hada Labo Foaming Cleanser removes excess sebum, dirt and other impurities without drying the skin. With super hyaluronic acid, it leaves skin soft and hydrated. Is it the right cleanser for you?
It wasn’t until I started taking skincare seriously that I realized there were different kinds of cleansers out there.
As its name suggests, Hada Labo Foaming Cleanser is a foam cleanser. It simply means it’s already foamy and sudsy coming out of the bottle.
It’s from a Japanese skincare company called Hada Labo that’s known for its straightforward, no-fuss approach to skincare. They prioritize the science over the aesthetic, like packaging and fragrance. This makes them affordable too.
If you google Hada Labo Foaming Cleanser, you might come across products called:
- Hada Labo Gokujyun Hyaluronic Face Wash
- Hada Labo Gokujyun Hydrating Foam Cleanser
- Hada Labo Japan Gokujyun Hyaluronic Acid Moisture Bubble Foaming Cleanser
- Rohto Mentholatum – Hada Labo Gokujyun Hyaluronic Acid Face Foam
Don’t worry, they all mean the same thing and this review covers them all!
Hada Labo Foaming Cleanser active ingredients
In your googling adventures, you’ll notice that in addition to the many different product names, another term that always pops up is sodium acetylated hyaluronate, which is also called by the very cool name: Super Hyaluronic Acid.
What is it?
Long story short: super hyaluronic acid helps our skin retain moisture 2x better than regular hyaluronic acid, leading to softer, smoother, and more youthful-looking skin.
How I Use Hada Labo Gokujyun Hyaluronic Face Wash
I use Hada Labo Foaming Cleanser every night, as my second cleanser in my double cleansing routine. This means I use my oil cleanser first then I wash with Hada Labo next.
I’ve used it in the morning too as part of my basic skincare routine, followed by toner, moisturizer and sunscreen.
A lot of websites would tell you to use 1-2 full pumps of cleanser but I find 1/2 to 1 full pump is plenty.
What I like about Hada Labo Gokujyun Hydrating Foam Cleanser
There’s a lot of things I like about Hada Labo Gokujyun Hydrating Foam Cleanser.
- Fragrance-free. First I like that it’s fragrance-free. There is a slight smell; from the plastic bottle, maybe? It doesn’t bother me though and it’s really almost imperceptible some people might not even notice it.
- Gentle and hydrating. What you would notice is how gentle it is. Like I mentioned, I use it as my second cleanser and I’ve never felt any tightness or dryness. And after every wash, my skin always feels clean, smooth and soft. It doesn’t irritate my skin and it doesn’t sting even if I get the foam on my eyes.
- Impromptu facial massages. There’s just something about foam that leads to facial massages! I find myself gently massaging my face as I’m washing it, swirling all those bubbles around.
- The product lasts a long time. I mentioned that I only use about 1/2 to 1 full pump of product. But I think even if you use the recommended 2 pumps, a 160-ml bottle would still last you a while. I’ve been using the same (take a deep breath the long name is coming) Hada Labo Japan Gokujyun Hyaluronic Acid Moisture Bubble Foaming Cleanser every night (plus some mornings) for more than 3 months now and when I shake the bottle, it still feels heavy and more than half full.
What I don’t like about it
I do have a few minor bones to pick though.
- Packaging. I find the bottle too bulky, taking up highly coveted real estate in my bathroom. And when I first bought the cleanser, it came with this brace around the neck of the pump which was meant to prevent you from accidentally pumping all the product out (example: when you’re traveling). But I already lost that so instead of a brace, it would be great if the pump had an open/close mechanism built right in.
- Availability. It’s also not as widely available here as other k-beauty or even Japanese skincare products. So if you need to re-purchase, you need to order online a bit in advance to make sure your order arrives in time.
Is a foaming cleanser better than a regular face wash?
Foaming cleansers are not necessarily better than a gel or a cream cleanser. What you really need to check are the ingredients. And what kind of cleanser works best for your skin type.
Here’s a breakdown of how these types of cleansers differ and which one may be best for you.
Can I use this cleanser everyday?
Hada Labo Foaming Cleanser is definitely gentle enough to use everyday. I have combination skin and my partner has oily skin. We live in a cold and dry climate.
My sister has oily skin and deals with warm and humid temperatures.
This cleanser works for all of us.
Of course, every person’s skin is different so what might work for me might not work for you so before you try a new product or add a new product to your skincare routine, it pays to do a little bit of research first.
Bottomline: do I recommend this cleanser?
Is Rohto Mentholatum – Hada Labo Gokujyun Hyaluronic Acid Face Foam a good cleanser?
In a rating scale of 1 to 5 – 5 being awesome – this product is definitely a high 4 for me. It’s not a 5 simply because I prefer my CosRX Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser.
Both products result to soft, smooth skin after cleansing. Both products are affordable. And both products do not give me breakouts or any kind of irritation.
I just prefer CosRx and once I’ve used up my bottle of Hada Labo, I probably won’t re-purchase and just stick to CosRx as both my morning and evening water cleanser.
I still recommend it though. It’s a good, solid foaming wash. Try and see if it works for you.
It’s available on Amazon (affiliate link).
As always, remember that every person’s skin and skin type is different so what might work for me might not work for you, and vice versa.
So before trying a new product, it pays to do a little bit of research first. Pay special attention to ingredients that you might have a reaction to.
And doing a patch-test is always a good idea. Unsure? Best to consult your dermatologist.
Happy skin experimenting! Practice good skincare habits always.
Have you tried Hada Labo Foaming Cleanser? Did it work for you? Will you recommend it? Would love to hear from you in the comments section below!
If you’re looking for a moisturizer, Hada Labo Moisturizer is a pretty awesome product as well. Hada Labo Toner is great too. And if you want a lightweight cleansing oil, check out Hada Oil Oil Cleanser.