Green tea face wash and cleansers are not new. And although it may sound like it, powder cleansers have been around a while too. Packed with both cleansing and exfoliating properties, find out if this green tea and enzyme powder cleanser is for you.
(Disclosure: I was not financially compensated for this post however, I did receive a free product sample for review purposes. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.)
Your facial wash is the kind of skincare product that tends to stick around. Once you find a product you like, there’s little reason for you to switch.
They’re fantastic products and I’m actually very happy with them.
I’ve been hearing a lot of great things about powder washes though. Specifically, about By Wishtrend Green Tea & Enzyme Powder Wash.
And I wanted to find out what the buzz was about. Yay or nay? Find out!
What is a powder wash?
Powder washes or cleansers are in powder form to start. Sprinkle some on your palm, add water, lather, then apply to your face as you would a regular cleanser.
There are several advantages to using powder cleansers, including:
- Convenience. Unlike liquid cleansers, you can take powder cleansers practically anywhere without fear of it spilling out. It’s also relatively light and easy to carry around.
- Control. My favourite thing about powder cleansers is how you can customize it depending on your need that day. If you need gentle exfoliation, add just a few drops of water so you can still feel the grains. If not, add more water to get a more foamy texture.
- Powerful ingredients. Powder cleansers are packed with everything our skin needs like enzymes, baking soda and green tea.
Speaking of ingredients, according to Wishtrend, this product contains:
- Green tea powder, which is a supercharged antioxidant rich in vitamin A, C and E to help regenerate damaged skin and soothe irritation
- Papain enzyme, which has gentle exfoliating properties to eliminate dead skin and other impurities to overall improve the skin’s texture
- Sodium bicarbonate (or baking soda), which is another gentle exfoliant effective in blackhead care
- Amino acid surfactants derived from coconut, which give the cleanser excellent hydrating qualities
Green tea face wash benefits
Lots of good stuff! Green tea alone has a ton of benefits because of its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties.
It protects your skin from premature aging, UV damage, redness, and irritation. Green tea also has the ability to fight off bacteria that can lead to breakouts and other sensitivities.
No wonder it’s been widely used in Asian culture for centuries.
Benefits of enzymes
Enzymes, on the other hand, primarily help in exfoliating our skin. Unlike traditional facial scrubs that can lead to irritated skin because they’re too harsh, enzymes are finer, smoother and gentler on skin.
By helping to remove dead skin cells and break down impurities, enzymes help us achieve smoother, clearer, brighter skin.
How I use By Wishtrend Green Tea & Enzyme Powder Wash
I use this green tea face wash as my second cleanser. I tend to use it as a foam wash more than an exfoliant because I have sensitive skin and am wary about exfoliating too much.
With about half a teaspoon of product on my palm, I slowly add drops of water and work it into a lather until I can barely feel the grains on my hands anymore.
I then apply the product to my face, massage gently all over and rinse with water.
What I like about this face wash with green tea
I like a lot of things about By Wishtrend Green Tea & Enzyme Powder Wash.
- Smells amazing. I usually prefer fragrance-free products but I love how this products smells. That matcha, green tea smell is so calming and refreshing.
- Customizable. I love how I can control my cleanse, so to speak. If I need to exfoliate, I add just a few drops of water to get a gentle scrub. If I need a facial wash, I simply add more water to create a more foamy texture.
- Refreshing and hydrating. After cleansing with this green tea facial cleanser, my skin feels smooth, bright and refreshed. No tightness at all.
What I don’t like about it
Sadly, there are a few things I don’t like about it too.
- Packaging. You get this enzyme powder wash in a small bottle and while it does say net weight 70 g / 2.47 oz, it’s a little disappointing to shake it and feel like it’s barely half full. I’m sure we’re getting the full 70 g; I still just feel a little bad. Psychology or optics I guess?
- Breakouts. More importantly, this product broke me out.I never got to use it more than once a week because I always ended up with little red bumps the day after I use it. I suppose that’s the caveat to powder cleansers — it’s not for all skin types. So if you’re like me and you have sensitive skin or skin that’s very reactive, it might be better to stick to a gentle liquid or gel cleanser.
Is powder wash better than a regular face wash?
Powder cleansers are not necessarily better than a gel or a cream cleanser.
What you really need to check are the ingredients. And what kind of cleanser works best for your skin type.
Can I use this cleanser everyday?
Wishtrend says their Green Tea & Enzyme Powder Wash is mild enough to use everyday however, better to err on the side of caution on this one.
Everyone’s skin is different and we react differently to products so go slow and remember that this is a mild exfoliant; be careful not to exfoliate too often.
This means it’s not recommend to use this product with other products that have exfoliating properties like retinol, vitamin C, AHA or BHA.
Bottomline: do I recommend this cleanser?
Is By Wishtrend Green Tea & Enzyme Powder Wash a good cleanser?
In a rating scale of 1 to 5 – 5 being awesome – this product is just a 2 for me. Not because it’s a bad product. In fact it has a lot going for it. It’s just not the right one for me.
Visit Wishtrend to check it out; they provide a lot of information so you can make an informed decision.
As always, remember that every person’s skin and skin type is different so what might work for me might not work for you, and vice versa.
So before trying a new product, it pays to do a little bit of research first. Pay special attention to ingredients that you might have a reaction to.
And doing a patch-test is always a good idea. Unsure? Best to consult your dermatologist.
Happy skin experimenting!
Have you tried By Wishtrend Green Tea & Enzyme Powder Wash? Did it work for you? Will you recommend it? Would love to hear from you in the comments section below!