By Wishtrend Vitamin C Serum is formulated with 15% pure vitamin C, as well as ferulic acid, and together they work to deliver antioxidant benefits, skin brightening, acne prevention, antibacterial effects and more.
Vitamin C is a powerhouse skincare ingredient.
The advantages of using vitamin C include:
- Evening out skin tone and texture
- Diminishing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Brightening overall complexion, and more
I’ve been trying out different kinds of vitamin C products throughout the year.
Because I have sensitive skin, I started with toners and moisturizers, products that generally have lower concentrations of vitamin C, so I have less chances of having a bad reaction to them (check out this vitamin C skincare guide for beginners if you want to learn more).
By Wishtrend Pure Vitamin C 15% with Ferulic Acid is my first foray into the world of vitamin C serums.
There are thousands of options out there but I chose this product because it was formulated for vitamin C beginners and people like me who have sensitive skin.
And with the addition of ferulic acid, not only is the potency of vitamin C maximized, it also makes this product a great way to manage adult acne, which I suffer from.
By Wishtrend Pure Vitamin C 15% with Ferulic Acid vs By Wishtrend Pure Vitamin C 21.5% Advanced Serum
You might already be familiar with Wishtrend’s other vitamin C serum that’s packed with a whopping 21.5% pure vitamin C. It’s a bestseller at Wishtrend and for good reason.
Because of its higher concentration of vitamin C, it delivers higher potency and faster results.
It’s not always great for people with sensitive skin though.
So the Pure Vitamin C 15% with Ferulic Acid serum was born.
This newer, gentler product is recommended for:
- Vitamin C beginners
- Acne prone skin
- Dull skin
- Dry or combination skin
And the addition of ferulic acid makes it that much more effective even with a gentler formulation.
What is ferulic acid?
Ferulic acid is another powerful antioxidant that’s an integral part of an effective anti-aging routine.
Like vitamin C, it offers anti-aging benefits like:
- Reducing the formation of fine lines and wrinkles, and the potential for sagging skin
- Reducing breakouts with its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties
- Diminishing dark spots caused by pollution and sun damage, as well as acne scars
More importantly, it boosts the effects of vitamin C (you can read more about ferulic acid here.)
The combination of vitamin C and ferulic acid makes this vitamin C serum such an effective product. It also contains vitamin tree water (instead of water) which makes this serum hydrating as well.
Full ingredient list below (source):
Hippophae Rhamnoides Water, Ethoxydiglycol, Ascorbic Acid, Diglycerin, Methylpropanediol, 1,2-Hexanediol, C12-14 Pareth-12, Ethyl Ascorbyl Ether, Tromethamine, Ferulic Acid, Ethylhexylglycerin, Aqua (Water), Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Maltodextrin, Sodium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pyridoxine HCl, Silica
Other things to note about Wishtrend Vitamin C 15
- Smell. As you would expect, this product smells like ascorbic acid. If you’re not familiar with that smell, suffice it to say it smells chemical-y. Not in a bad way, though. And the smell doesn’t linger.
- Colour. This serum is colourless, as it should be. Vitamin C is very sensitive to air and light and once exposed, it would start to oxidize and turn yellowish / light brown. This indicates the product is starting to lose its effectiveness. So make sure to always tightly close your vitamin C serum bottles and keep it away from sunlight.
- Packaging. Like most vitamin C products, By Wishtrend Pure Vitamin C comes in a dark and opaque 30-ml bottle. You get a dropper in the box. You might have come across other reviews of this serum that says their bottle cap doesn’t close properly, leading to premature oxidation. Fortunately, I don’t have that issue and Wishtrend has already said they’re aware and are working to update their packaging.
- Texture and Consistency. This serum is very thin and runny out of the bottle. So be careful when you’re taking the dropper out; be ready to catch droplets of product immediately. It’s very spreadable and once applied on the skin, it takes on quite a sticky consistency until it’s fully absorbed.
- Application. Because it’s thin and runny, the best way to apply this vitamin C serum is allowing 3-4 small drops of product to fall on your palm and applying that on your face — avoiding areas around the eyes and mouth, as well as open wounds — then gently patting to help absorption.
- Contra-indications. Vitamin C is pretty safe and generally well-tolerated. However, try to avoid mixing it with retinoids and benzoyl peroxide in the same routine. And because vitamin C possesses mild exfoliating properties, avoid using physical and chemical exfoliators in the same routine as well.
- Morning use. If you’re using Vitamin C By Wishtrend (or any vitamin C product) in the morning, be sure to use sunscreen over it.
How I use this vitamin C serum
I use this serum every morning, after cleansing and toner, before By Wishtrend Polyphenols in Propolis 15% Ampoule, moisturizer and sunscreen.
I allow 3-4 small drops to fall into my palm and spread that all over my face, avoiding areas around my eyes and mouth. It’s easy to apply too much product but 3-4 drops is really all you need.
Then I gently pat with my fingertips to help absorption.
What I like about this product
- Dewy. Once the serum dries and absorbs, my face instantly has this dewy glow to it. If you like a more matte finish, you might not appreciate this look, but if you’re a fan of fresh, dewy skin, you’ll love it.
- Smoothing and brightening. I also notice that there’s an instant smoothing effect on my skin. And while my dark spots are still there (I’ve only been using the serum for about a month), I can tell they’re lighter and my skin and complexion definitely look brighter.
- No irritation. I was completely expecting to breakout or purge from this product but happily, I’ve had no bad reactions so far. During the first few days of using it, I did feel a slight tingling sensation, and parts of my face felt a little itchy after application, but I’ve read that this is a normal reaction. As my skin got used to the product (just a few days), that went away.
- Make-up. I’ve applied light make up over this product a few times and it worked out well. Note that I don’t do full coverage foundations though; just light tints. In any case, just make sure the serum has completely absorbed before applying another layer of product over it.
What I don’t like about it
The only thing I don’t like about this serum is how sticky it feels after application. And how it stays sticky and feels heavy as my skin absorbs it.
Depending on the weather and humidity, this can last between 5 and 15 minutes.
While my skin feels smooth and supple after the product has been fully absorbed, I sometimes skip it if I’m in a hurry to get out the door and don’t have 15 minutes to spare.
It’s almost winter here so it’s getting colder and my skin is switching to combination dry; I wonder how this product will feel in the summer when the humidity ramps up and my skin becomes combination oily. Will update this review as soon as I know!
Do I recommend Wishtrend Vitamin C with Ferulic Acid?
In a rating scale of 1 to 5 — 5 being awesome — this product is a 4 for me.
The fact that I didn’t break out is a big deal. That my dark spots and blemishes are slowly but surely fading away is a bigger deal.
My night time routine targets my dark spots too and doing a vitamin C routine in the morning definitely helps speed things along.
My complexion looks and feels smoother, and there’s definitely less dullness.
There are other great benefits of this serum as well, like anti-aging and collagen-boosting. I can’t say anything definitive about those yet but I’m excited to see results as I use the product more.
And finally – I don’t usually talk about price because I find that skincare products are priced differently depending on where you are and where you buy it from but lemme tell you, at less than $30 at Wishtrend, this vitamin C serum is a steal.
Similar products sell for more than $100 and I don’t see myself shelling out for those when this works great and lasts a while (remember to store it properly). Certified skincare dupe!
Want to see if it’ll work for you?
You can buy Pure Vitamin C 15% with Ferulic Acid at Wishtrend by clicking this link.
Use discount code JOLINA15 when shopping at Wishtrend and enjoy 15% off your purchase! Valid until December 31, 2020.
As always, remember that every person’s skin and skin type is different so what might work for me might not work for you, and vice versa.
So before trying a new product, it pays to do a little bit of research first. Pay special attention to ingredients that you might have a reaction to.
And doing a patch-test is always a good idea. Unsure? Best to consult your dermatologist.
Happy skin experimenting! Practice good skincare habits always.
Have you tried Wishtrend Vitamin C 15? Did it work for you? Will you recommend it? Would love to hear from you in the comments section below!