This amazing Bakuchiol Night Cream from Wishtrend combines retinal and bakuchiol for fast and effective anti-aging effects without the irritation.
When people ask me when they should start thinking about anti-aging, my answer is always now, today, right this minute (unless the person asking is my 3 year-old niece lol).
The fact is, the sooner we think about this, the better.
I’ve always worn sunscreen but I’m afraid that was the extent of my anti-aging regimen. So when I hit my early 40s, I played major catch up.
I finally settled on collagen serums, chemical exfoliation and retinol. And I’m always on the lookout for newer, better products.
Which is why I’m very excited about this Vitamin A-mazing Bakuchiol Night Cream from Wishtrend. Not only is the name exciting. It promises exciting things too!
Let’s get to it.
What is bakuchiol
Bakuchiol is known as the gentler, more natural alternative to retinol.
Retinol is a synthetic form of Vitamin A and is known to improve collagen production and reduction of fine lines and wrinkles.
On the other hand, bakuchiol is a natural alternative extracted from the seeds and leaves of psoralea corylifolia or babchi plant (source).
Is it better than retinol
While retinol is still considered as the gold standard when it comes to anti-aging skincare ingredients, it’s also been known to irritate skin — flakes, dryness, redness.
Bakuchiol is better in the sense that it’s known for being one of the only natural skincare ingredients that can rival the anti-aging effects of retinol — without as many side effects (source).
And according to Wishtrend, their Vitamin A-mazing Bakuchiol Night Cream delivers just that — anti-aging without the irritation.
Ingredients and skin benefits
It promises to help with the following skin concerns:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Uneven texture
In addition to bakuchiol, this night cream is also formulated with retinal, which has been clinically proven to work up to 11 times faster than retinol and has a much higher exfoliation rate for even-toned, radiant skin (source).
Full ingredient list below (source):
Aqua(Water), Glycerin, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Betaine, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Macadamia Integrifolia Seed Oil, Niacinamide, Glyceryl Glucoside, Glyceryl Stearate, Bakuchiol, Trehalose, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Distearate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Polyglyceryl-10 Laurate, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dipropylene Glycol, Hydroxyacetophenone, Laminaria Japonica Extract, Eclipta Prostrata Leaf Extract, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Adenosine, Glucose, Fructooligosaccharides, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Retinal, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Beta-Glucan, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Centella Asiatica Extract, Ficus Carica (Fig) Fruit Extract, Ceramide NP, Tocopherol, Collagen, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-8, Dextran
Other things to know
- Packaging. This cream is available in a 30-g airless pump container, designed to help maintain the quality of vitamin A.
- Color. The cream is a pretty yellow due to the natural color of retinal. It does leave a very subtle yellowish cast on the skin but it hasn’t stained my pillow cases yet and it can easily be washed off the following morning.
- Smell. There is a slight smell to this product that I can’t quite put my finger (or nose) on. It reminds me of plastic, or rubber, almost. It’s not exceedingly unpleasant, but it is on the stronger side and lingers for a bit after application.
- Texture and Consistency. This product is very creamy and easy to apply. It doesn’t feel heavy or greasy on my skin at any point.
- Application. It’s also very spreadable so I only need a very small dot (1/2 to 1 full pump) to cover my whole face. If you’ve pumped out a pea-sized amount, you’ve gone too far.
- Skin Type. Wishtrend doesn’t recommend this for pregnant women due to its vitamin A content. They also warn those with extremely sensitive skin (especially those sensitive to vitamin A and chemical exfoliants) to avoid using this cream.
- Expiration. This product must be used within 12 months after opening.
How to use
I use this product at night.
I started using it once a week and slowly increased the frequency until my skin got used to it. Now I use it 3x a week.
It’s the second to last product I apply in my skincare routine, just before moisturizer.
I apply 1/2 to 1 full pump of product on my fingertips, dot that all over my face, then gently spread and pat for absorption.
Remember that before using products like this, it’s important to do a skin patch test and to start slow. Here are more tips on how to add new products to your skincare routine.
What I like about this product
- Lightweight. This cream absorbs fairly quickly and doesn’t feel heavy or greasy on my skin at all.
- Soft and smooth. The first time I used it, I was amazed at how soft, plump and smooth my skin looked and felt the next morning!
- Little goes a long way. You don’t need a lot of product. A thin film is all you need. In fact, Wishtrend discourages using more than what’s necessary.
- Gentle. I’ve been using this cream for more than 3 months now and I haven’t had a single breakout because of it. Even though I’ve used other retinol products before, I was fully expecting to purge but, happily, nothing’s happened. I also haven’t experienced any redness, flaking or dryness.
- Expires in 12 months. I used to use retinol from The Ordinary and it’s always a bummer when I have to throw the bottle out when it’s still almost full because it expires 3 months after opening. So I am very happy to have found this retinol cream that I can use until it runs out and not have to waste any product.
(Related: The Ordinary Regimen for Aging and Mature Skin)
What I don’t like about it
- Packaging. While I understand the need for this particular container, I don’t like the fact that I can’t tell how much product is left. I like having a replacement ready so as not to disrupt my routine when I run out of a specific product, and it’s really hard to estimate when to re-order when I can’t tell how much I have left.
- Smell. The smell really put me off in the beginning. I’m used to it by now and, like I said, it’s not unpleasant or horrible, but some people might not like it at all.
Do I recommend this product?
On a rating scale of 1 to 5 — 5 being awesome — this product is a 4 for me.
I really do dislike the packaging; I wish there was a way of knowing when it’s time to repurchase. But other than that, I think Wishtrend hit it out of the park with this one.
The changes to my complexion were more noticeable in the beginning, which was very exciting.
Now I think things have not so much as plateaued but I suppose I’ve gotten used to clearer, smoother complexion that I don’t notice the subtle changes anymore. And that’s not a bad thing!
This is my go-to retinol product now and I highly recommend it.
I think this will especially do wonders for those just starting out or just building their anti-aging skin care routine, or those new to retinol. This is way gentler than other products I’ve tried.
Click this link to check it out at Wishtrend [affiliate link].
Use discount code JOLINA15 when shopping at Wishtrend and enjoy 15% off your purchase! Valid until December 31, 2023.
As always, remember that every person’s skin and skin type is different so what might work for me might not work for you, and vice versa.
So before trying a new product, it pays to do a little bit of research first. Pay special attention to ingredients that you might have a reaction to.
And doing a patch-test is always a good idea. Unsure? Best to consult your dermatologist.
Happy skin experimenting!
Have you tried this night cream or any bakuchiol product? How do you like it? Would love to hear from you in the comments section below!
And let’s get social — follow me on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook where we can get a little bit more personal and talk about skincare in real time!