By Wishtrend Sulfur Gel is an acne spot treatment. This gel-type cream is made of 3% sulfur (collodial sulfur) and promises not only to help with existing breakouts but to prevent future ones as well.
Battling adult acne used to be one of those things that made me want to pull my hair out and cry. I say used to because happily it’s gotten a lot better since I started my skincare routine.
Sometimes however, because life, 1 or 2 would still show up out of nowhere. So I was in the market for an effective acne spot treatment. Pimple patches are great but I wanted something that worked faster to zap those zits away.
Enter: By Wishtrend Sulfur 3% Clean Gel. I’ve been eyeing this product since it launched.
So I eagerly awaited a pimple to show itself (weird thing to look forward to, I know) and tested if this product does what it says.
What does Wishtrend sulfur gel do?
The primary selling point of this product is that it’s a fast-acting acne treatment. It’s supposed to make a pimple disappear and fast.
In addition, its main ingredient, collodial sulfur, helps prevent future breakouts by controlling excess sebum or oil, and clears the pores of bacteria that might cause acne.
As a bonus, this product also includes two hydrating ingredients (sodium hyaluronate and tocopherol) to prevent our skin from drying out.
Sulfur for skincare
And this is good news because sulfur (also spelled sulphur) has a bad reputation for causing excessive flaking and dryness.
This modern formulation from Wishtrend promises to be hydrating and soothing though. And very light-weight that you can use it morning and night.
It also won’t give off what they call a “skunk-like” scent and won’t leave a yellow stain upon application, which the sulfur creams of old tended to do.
Sulfur gel ingredients
In addition to sulfur, sodium hyaluronate and tocopherol, this gel also contains (full ingredient list):
Aqua (Water), Methyl Trimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Sulfur, Acacia Senegal Gum, 1,2-Hexanediol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitan Isostearate, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopherol, Caprylyl/Capryl Glucoside, Xanthan Gum, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Denatonium Benzoate, Disodium EDTA, Alcohol, Ethylhexylglycerin
How I use this acne treatment
Anyway, once I was ready with my pimple for testing lol, I applied a small amount of cream on it using a cotton swab (or cotton bud) at the last step of my nighttime skincare routine. I spread it on the pimple and on the area around it until absorbed.
The next morning, I applied the gel again. I wasn’t sure if it should go under or over my sunscreen but I figured sunscreen should go on top of everything. So I applied the gel after my moisturizer but before sunscreen.
Results of my experiment
What happened, you ask?
The morning after first application, my pimple (which was on my cheek, right under my eye) was noticeably smaller. And even the redness around the area subsided dramatically.
(See below, a slightly embarrassing, ultra-zoom of my skin!)
I started noticing small red bumps on my cheek as I continued using the product though. I patch-tested before using the product to make sure I won’t have any or severe reactions to it so this was surprising.
So I stopped using the gel in the morning and only continued to use it at night. And it worked its magic again.
Now I only use the product at night. And I’m very careful about where I’m applying it (i.e. only on problem areas and not on healthy skin).
Other things to note about this pimple treatment
- Smell. This product does smell…off-putting. It’s made of sulfur after all. You only need a very small amount for spot treatment though so it’s not that bad.
- Colour. It comes out of the tube a light, creamy yellow but applies clear.
- Texture and Consistency. The texture and consistency is creamy and very light-weight. Once it’s absorbed, you won’t even feel it’s there. There’s no sticky or slimy feeling either.
- Application. And it’s very easy to apply. It dries quickly too. I haven’t noticed any sulfur stains on my pillows so that’s a plus.
- Packaging. It comes in a bright yellow 30g/1.5 oz tube. I find it very easy to control how much product you’re squeezing out. It’s also travel-friendly.
What I like about By Wishtrend Sulfur 3% Clean Gel
- No sting. It used to be that when I was dealing with breakouts, I apply active products on my skin and expect it to hurt. This product does not sting at all. Not even a little.
- No scars. And once it’s done its job of wiping my pimple out, I don’t have to deal with acne scars or marks. It’s like the pimple didn’t happen.
- No dryness. I don’t experience any dryness or flakiness either. I used to use tea tree oil as spot treatment and that would always dry my skin and give me dark spots. Not this one.
- Effective. Most of all, I love how effective it is in making my pimples disappear (used properly).
What I don’t like about it
If I were testing a different kind of product (e.g. a toner) and I broke out, I would stop using it immediately. But since I was testing an acne treatment, I had to continue using it to find out why it was giving me more acne. The irony!
- It made things worse when I used it in the morning.
- I got mild irritation from applying the product to healthy skin.
And that’s the caveat with this product. There’s a learning curve. I had to learn how best to use it according to how my skin reacts. And when I figured things out, I still have to use it very carefully.
Also, I noticed that while it’s great at calming angry zits overnight, it still takes a few days for them to completely clear. Faster than pimple patches, but not by much.
Do I recommend By Wishtrend Sulfur Clean Gel?
In a rating scale of 1 to 5 — 5 being awesome — this product is a 3 for me.
I will add this product to my ever-growing arsenal of acne-fighting skincare products because of how it makes my pimples smaller overnight.
Pimple patches are gentler in my opinion though and I’d probably stick with those if I don’t have a major event to go to and I can live with my pimple for another day.
Want to see if it’ll work for you?
Use discount code JOLINA15 when shopping at Wishtrend and enjoy 15% off your purchase! Valid until December 31, 2021.
As always, remember that every person’s skin and skin type is different so what might work for me might not work for you, and vice versa.
So before trying a new product, it pays to do a little bit of research first. Pay special attention to ingredients that you might have a reaction to.
And doing a patch-test is always a good idea. Unsure? Best to consult your dermatologist.
Happy skin experimenting! Practice good skincare habits always.
Have you tried Wishtrend sulfur gel? Did it work for you? Will you recommend it? Would love to hear from you in the comments section below!